Monday, November 5, 2007

This Ain't My Final Destination

I thank the Lord that this place is not my final resting place, but only my journey through the desert to the Promised Land.
With Paul, I say: "For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain." Phil 1:21 It's not that I am striving to go, but the peace I keep comes from the knowledge that neither my destination nor my rewards are here on earth.
There has been an old song haunting my memory for a year or so, now, and I found it, performed wonderfully, tonight. The lyrics are as follows:

Wayfaring Stranger

I am a poor wayfaring stranger
Travelling through this world of woe
There's no sickness, toil or danger
In that bright land to which I go

(Chorus)
Yes I'm going over Jordan
Just going, no more to roam
Only going over Jordan
Just a-going to my home

I know dark clouds will gather round me
I know my way is rough and steep
But golden fields lie out before me
Where all the saints their vigils keep

(Chorus)
I'm going there to meet my [father/mother/brother sister etc]
I'm going there no more to roam
I'm just a-going over Jordan
I'm only going over home

I want to wear a crown of glory
When I get home to that bright land
I want to shout Salvation's story
In concert with that blood-washed band

(Chorus)
I'm going there to see my Saviour
To sing His praise for evermore
I'm just-a going over Jordan
I'm only going over home

I'll soon be free from earthly trials
This body rests in the orchard's yard
I'll drop this cross of self-denial
And go singing home to God

I've attached a YouTube video of the song from Selah. Pretty Awsome stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0edb9O9wPOY

No comments: