Tuesday, September 25, 2018

"I Am He"

As Jesus knew His time on earth was coming to a close and thought of the things He was about to endure, what must have been going through His mind? The answer is the condition of His disciples and the eventuality of us.

In John 17, verse 15, it reads "I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that you should keep them from the evil one." In other words, we have a job to do, one that was laid out for us before the foundation of the world. Some might say that He was talking about the disciples and apostles in this verse, but continuing to verse 20 we see that we were in His thoughts also...."I do not pray for these alone,  but also for those who will believe in Me through their word...."

Jesus had been talking to His disciples about what was going to happen and He knew they were frightened and really didn't understand that this had to happen and that Jesus was going to "let" it happen. God's word says that Jesus said that they did not take His life, but he "layed it down".

John 10:18 says, "No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have the power to lay it down, and I have the power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father."

When the time came.....I noticed a difference in the account of the arrest in my readings in John and that difference, to me, just further indicated Jesus' concern for the mindset of His disciples who were going to build His church. I don't know why I had'nt notice this before.

In chapter 18 of John, starting in verse 4, it reads "Jesus therefore, knowing all things that would come upon Him went forward and said to them, 'Whom are you seeking?' They answered Him, 'Jesus of Nazareth.' Jesus said to them, 'I am He." And Judas, who betrayed Him, also stood with them. Now when He said to them 'I am He,' they drew back and fell to the ground.

Jesus divinity and power could not have been more evident at the time, especially to His disciples. It seems as though Peter took it as a sign to fight and pulled his sword and attacked, but Jesus rebuked him with these words..."Shall I not drink the cup which My Father has given me?"

I am confident of His divinity and comforted by His prayers for me. I am sure I am going to falter and get weary and wonder how I will survive, but I know He has a provision for me. That provision is the Holy Spirit and my prayer life.

In Luke when Jesus found His disciples asleep while He prayed, He woke them with these words, "Why do you sleep? Rise and pray, lest you enter into tempation." Luke 22:46

Lord, help me to remember to bathe everything in "prayer and supplication in the Spirit..." Eph. 6:18

No comments: