Sunday, February 23, 2020

Just This Side of Understanding

Do you ever read something, scripture in particular, and feel that there is something there you just don't understand?

It is good to contemplate those things. It may be that God wants you to look deeper, to reach into His Word and pull things together, to pray and meditate about the passage that puzzles you. If that be the case, the Holy Spirit will reward your efforts with new understanding.

It may also be that you are not ready at this point in your faith; that you are yet to have the ability to understand that which escapes you. It may that you are, as God said to me this morning, "You are just this side of understanding." I believe that is part of our faith; the part that says even if I don't understand, I believe and trust.

If we get all tied up in having to understand every little (or big) thing, we can miss a lot that God has for us on the road that we are traveling. At times we have to be an Abraham....just pack up and head out to a place He will (at some point) show us. This can be physically, vocationally or theologically. Jesus told His disciples, when they were brought before the courts, not to worry about what they would say, that The Holy Spirit would speak through them. Do you think that they really understood? I don't and I doubt they did when it happened, because they were "just this side of understanding."

 God tells us "My thoughts are not your thoughts." I am just happy when God decides I am ready for something knew and opens my mind and understanding just a bit! So, I keep reading and praying and listening. I can't imagine what it will be like to cross over to the side of understanding and be illuminated by all of God's Glory, to worship the Source of all knowledge, to understand the bottomless love and compassion of the Creator and Sustainer of the universe, to give eternal thanks to my Savior.

Its all just over there....



No comments: