Saturday, February 29, 2020

The Path To The Cross

I am getting ready to start an on-line Bible Study with Bible Gateway. The Study is called The Path To The Cross. I opted for the accompanying study book and began reading it today to prep for the first video class next week. At the end of the reading prior to the video, the study book asked two questions.

The first was what I thought a life of passionate obedience and faithful devotion to God looked like.
The question brought to my mind two verses from the Bible, one from the Old Testament and one from the new. The first was Micah 6:8

"He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."

Wow, sounds simple. I thought about it, though. I must take every thought and action and hold it to the light of this verse. Are they just, even if my worldly mind does not feel just response is required? Are they merciful, even in the face of the unmerciful? And, are they humble even if the humility goes against what I feel I deserve. Not as easy as the few words of the Lord's requirements.

The second verse was from the Book of Romans, Chapter 13, verse 8: "Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, 'You shall not commit adultery,' 'You shall not murder,' 'You shall not steal,' 'You shall not bear false witness,' 'You shall not covet,' and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, you shall love your neighbor as yourself. Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law."

Another wow, when you really think about it. Every thought and action must now be exposed to the light of love. They must be totally loving regardless of the thoughts or actions that my own are prompted by from another, another maybe not so loving.

The second question was equally thought provoking. It wanted to know what sacrifices might be required in order to obey God and love Him with all my heart, soul and strength? My list started pretty quickly.....1) My pride, 2)The self-importance of my desires, 3)My personal opinion, 4)My personal vengeance, 5)My goals, my wants, my desires. Basically the "My" part of life. Sacrifices really are uncomfortable when they invade your personal space.....

If you feel the tug, share your comments or personal observations on the two questions.

No comments: